Sunday, January 6, 2008

Self-observation

It all matters how you can look at yourself. To overcome a situation of complete burnout it is very necessary to start looking at your own person and all your very own peculiarities. To achieve this, I often encourage my clients to start writing about their condition. My experience has taught me that everybody can perceive and narrate a lot just about him/herself. Whatever you know about yourself is never meaningless, it will always point out something. Now of course you can just start a diary in the blind but it just helps to give it some aim and direction. I often request my clients at the outset of the treatment to write about their energysystem, where is energy spoiled and where is it gained. So, think for yourself where you spoil your power and efforts (probably without getting back any incentive) and where you gain your energy (these will usually be the things that work well with you and that you enjoy.)

For clients who are still working but feel a burnout approaching it is often useful to start keeping a so-called stress-diary. When, where and how did I feel stress coming up, how was I able to react and what did that respons bring me? What did I feel throughout the whole situation? Next step then is, if you have a number of notes like that, to link them together and see if you can make out any meaningful pattern. If so, well, then you know where to start.

And talking about helping yourself: take this to heart, we all know how to write, don't we?